Group Show Series
A series of art pieces specifically designed to be submitted (and hung) in group shows. The pieces would perform, as purely as possible, nothing but to recontextualize the pieces hung on either side of it. For example:
Two swoopy arrows, one that ends up pointing left, one that ends up pointing right, the title of the piece (or perhaps incorporated right into the piece) is: the one to the left is awesome, the one to the right, not so great.
An image of a person making a disgusted face. Title of the piece (or incorporated into the piece) is: eew, why do I have to be across from that piece?
Other phrases possible (I’ll leave the working out of the accompanying image as an exercise for the reader):
- Definitely the best piece in this room.
- Some of us may be upside down, I’m not naming any names, but, look at the one on my right.
- The jury was really sleeping on that one three over, don’t you think?
- What’s a nice piece of art like me doing in a place like this?
- They only put me here because the artist left of this can’t stand the artist right of this. And vice versa. Oddly enough, they both like me.
- The first piece in the show is always the best. The last piece is always the one that makes the least sense.